Regarding the ROE 53 Sub List
As of July 01, 2023 the ROE will no longer be maintaining or updating a regional sub list.
Sub List Color Codes:
Red: The person has a paraprofessional license, so can be a paraprofessional. Whether or not they can work as a substitute teacher depends on if they qualified for their license with an Associates degree. If they did qualify with an Associates degree, they can also substitute on this license. If not, they cannot substitute on this license.
Pink: The person was fingerprinted by a different region, so ROE 53 cannot green-light (as we cannot view the background check and do not receive subsequent updates) but school districts can accept the background check if they so choose according to state law. House Bill 2982
Yellow: The person has a short-term substitute license, so must abide by the restrictions associated with this license.
Green: The person has been cleared by ROE 53 to substitute in our region, as we have verified that they have an appropriate license, that their license is current and registered, and that they have been fingerprinted to substitute in our region.
White: This just indicates that someone has signed up on the list. The ROE either has not checked on them yet to see if they met requirements - or they are missing something required in order for us to green-light them. Or possibly, they were fingerprinted for one specific school district and cannot be green-lighted to work at all school districts because they did not pay for their own fingerprints.
Illinois Licensed Teachers as Subs:
If an educator holds a valid Professional Educator License (PEL) with a teaching endorsement registered with the region/s in which they wish to sub, a substitute license is not needed to substitute teach. You would need to have been fingerprinted as a sub and have a physical from within the last 90 days in order to apply for substitute teaching jobs within ROE 53.
To become a Sub if you do not currently hold an Illinois teaching license:
If you do not currently hold a Professional Educator License you will need to apply online through ELIS to obtain a Substitute License (either Short Term Substitute or Substitute, as explained below).
- If you have an Associates degree or 60 college credit hours from a regionally accredited institution (coursework must be at the 100-level or higher), you would need to apply for a Short Term Substitute License. This type of license has certain restrictions which will be listed here:
- If you have a Bachelors degree from a regionally accredited institution, you would want to apply for a Substitute License. Please click here to review a PDF with step-by-step instructions for attaining the Substitute License.
Retired Illinois Teachers as Subs:
Any retiree will have the same requirements as any other sub as far as providing updated physical/statement of good health and fingerprinting.
- You may sub off of your teaching license (PEL) – no sub certificate necessary as long as you keep your PEL renewed and registered with ROE 53.
- If subbing solely for the district from which you retired, ISBE Legal still recommends updating your file (health and fingerprint). Many, if not all long-term veteran teachers, have never been fingerprinted nor had a physical in many years. It is considered a change in employment and should be updated.
**Important Applicant Responsibilities**
- Take original physical/statement of good health from an appropriately licensed physician to each district so the district can make a copy of your originals for their files
- Take original state and federal fingerprint results to each district so district can make a copy of your originals for their files
- Register with the ROE 53 region through your ELIS account
- Complete all requirements for licensure (PEL for teachers or ELS those without teacher licensure) outlined by code/law
- Maintain licensure registration and renewal
For more questions or information, contact the Regional Office of Education at 309-477-2290 or...
- Breanna Newton - email@example.com
- Laura Varichak - firstname.lastname@example.org
ROE 53 office fingerprinting cost: $57
-- If you are printing to be on our region sub list, please bring payment with you to your appointment.
-- If you are printing for 1 specific district only and they are paying, please bring their district form with you to your appointment.
--If you do this, you are not eligible to be on our region sublist and can only sub for that single district.
--Personal or district check, money orders, or credit/debit cards are accepted forms of payment
Ethos Fingerprinting in El Paso, IL 309-340-4266 (email@example.com)
Ethos fingerprinting cost: $60
Please note that Lisa is only able to fingerprint substitutes who are paying for their own fingerprints at her location (not school employees).